Protein Loaded Power Turkey Chili
2 pounds ground turkey (I use 93% lean/7% fat)
1.5 cans crushed tomatoes (28 oz. cans)
3 tbsp. tomato paste
3 cloves garlic
1 large vidalia onion
1 green jalapeño pepper
6 leaves fresh basil
1/2 cup chili powder
1/3 cup cumin
3 tbsp. cayenne pepper
1 tbsp. salt
1 tbsp. black pepper
1 can red kidney beans
1 can black beans
1 can cannellini beans
Total Time: 1.5 hours
Servings: 1 HUGE pot. About 10 bowls.
(1) Coat the bottom of the pot with a thick layer of olive oil. Place over LOW heat.
(2) Chop up the onion and slice the garlic. Throw both into the pot. Let everything sit until the onions and garlic become translucent and slightly golden (~10-15 minutes). DO NOT let the garlic burn.
(3) Add the ground turkey and toss it around so that it’s coated with the onion/garlic mixture. Let it sit until the turkey becomes a whitish color (~5 minutes).
(4) Once the turkey is pre-cooked, carefully drain the excess oil. Don’t lose any of the onions or meat. Leave a little bit of oil in the pot for flavoring.
(5) Add the crushed tomato, tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, cayenne, salt, and pepper into the pot. Mix thoroughly until everything is even.
(6) Chop up the basil and jalapeno pepper. Throw both in the pot.
(7) Cover with a screen (not a lid) and let it simmer on low heat for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
(8) Add all 3 cans of beans and stir profusely. If you’re using turkey bacon, throw it in also.
(9) Let it simmer for an additional 25 minutes.
(10) Enjoy. Throw it over a bowl of brown rice, or eat it solo if you’re looking to cut calories/carbs.
Nutrition Stats (per bowl): 247 calories, 22g protein, 13.5g fat, 2g fiber